"Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own."

9.07.2012

Week with Rachel

    Rachel came to visit us for our final week in Alaska. We are so glad that she had the opportunity to come up and see us finish up the best summer ever. She is one of my best friends and it was great to have her there. We did wish my other best friend/sister Meg could have come... we missed her lots. 
The day before Rach came we used our last day together to go on an all you can eat crab excursion. We had an amazing time. We went out on a crab boat down the George Inlet (which is gorgeous) to some crab pots that they had already dropped and then we brought them in. It was fun to hold the crabs and watch how everything is done. After the boat ride you go back to the lodge you get all you can eat crab with butter.....it was FANTASTIC. Don and I love crab. 
After the crab feast we were walking around and found this painting...Don loves it and wants it for our house. We then went fishing on the dock and spent the last night together. It was amazing I love being with my man. 
Rachel came the very next day and it was crazy partying from then on. 
             
The first night we took Rach to see the bears at my work. We were so close she was amazed and she even got its unwanted attention by running by it. The bear got excited and looked up...but it was all good. 
The sunset the first night.
Fishing on the dock across from our apartment, Don and I do a solid job. 
We went on the Adventure Karts, and Rach was a wild driver (I thought I was going to die...:))
The Lumberjack show.
We had some fun with the glasses at this cute store. 
Best sign in Ketchikan.
                                               
Creek Street
Our Mysti Fjords Float Plane Ride
The next day we went on the Aleutian Ballad (the crab ship off the Deadliest Catch) that was destroyed in a 70 foot wave. I made friends with the Captain this summer so he took us on one of the tours.
King Crab
Crayfish 
Rock Crab
The Octopus
One day Don took us out on a deep sea fishing trip. Being in a little boat for 8 hours made us all a little loopy. These two were making me laugh so hard my stomach hurt.  
We were excited that we got invited to go on a huge boat for Don's last work party.
My handsome man. 
Rach was poppin her collar. 
We saw a gorgeous sunset, the night view of the city, and whales on the boat.
The last night we went tide pooling and had a blast. My cute husband is so sweet and collects rocks with me. Rach found some good ones too. For some reason I love the different colorful rocks that we would find on the beach. My sweet man Don just goes along with my weirdness, that is why I love him. 
I also took Rach on the zip lines. The first time we went on a private tour with my friend Joe, Don, Rachel and I. We had a blast just hanging out and goofing off. Rachel had to get over the shock of the height pretty quick with Don and Joe on them with her. She also came to work with me on my last day. I took her on tour with me and she was able to go a few times on the other zip line. She got the full zip line experience I would say. 
We also had a fire at Ward Lake and hiked around. We had a rock skipping competition and at lots of s'mores. (I don't have the pictures of zip lining or Ward Lake because they are on Rachel's camera). 
Just in case you didn't know Rachel is a super fun girl. We laughed and laughed the entire week. She was also so helpful in getting ready to leave. We had a great week to finish off our summer in Ketchikan with Rachel. I am so grateful for the experience we had there and for the new friends we made, but mostly I am grateful for a wonderful family and husband. 



No comments:

Post a Comment