"Love is that condition in which the happiness of another person is essential to your own."

8.13.2012

The End of Alaska!

Sadly the countdown is on….:(! We are not ready to be done or leave. The other night we were laying in our bed talking about all of the good times we have had here and how it feels like just yesterday that we were getting off the ferry at 2 in the morning and walking up to our apartment with a bar fight to greet us. I can honestly say this has been a dream summer. We have loved every single second of it and getting to know each other better. We love being together every single day without any interuption. Work is starting to get a little tiring but we are not ready to leave the beautiful city of Ketchikan.
                On Monday the 6th I had a day off which is rare. I walked around town, got some good food and met up with my friend Ashley and her son at the park. We had a blast playing and then walking around town. I have met some amazing people up here and I would have to say Ashley and her husband David are among them. They are the sweetest couple and their little boy is adorable. We love hanging out with them and talking to them. It will be sad to say goodbye.
Speaking of meeting people the other day I was thinking of everyone that we have met up here. We meet dozens everyday. Some are very memorable in a good way and others are memorable in a not so good way. Either way I have realized that there truly is something to learn from everyone. Whether it is that you don’t want to act like some people do on vacation or a life lesson and they make you a better person. That sounds silly but there are so many people in the world with incredible stories to tell. I am grateful for the time we have spent here and people we have met.
                This last week we have been trying to soak up everything. The other day it was sunny so we went out fishing on the dock right infront of our apartment. After catching 3 pretty large sharks we called it quits and walked around together. On Saturday the 11th we went to a big party at Knudson Cove Marina. A lot of locals and seasonal workers were there and it was a blast. We had a BBQ, played basketball, and enjoyed one of mine and Don’s favorites…..watching everyone get super drunk and be silly. We also took a double kayak out to another island and explored it was beautiful and it gave Don and I time alone J. We rode back to town on one of Don’s work busses and I tell you what it was wild. Everyone was crazy and having a good time…but I think Don and I have an even better time watching all of them while we are sober.  Oh and a funny sidenote we saw the old local man that I took on the ziplines a couple months ago that would yell “I love you” off every platform, he was playing the acordian but when we recognized me he mouthed I love you numerous times while waving. Don was laughing so hard because he could finally put a face to the story.
                Rachel comes on Wednesday and we are so excited. She is going to love it up here and I can’t wait to show her around and see her. Other than that we are still just loving life and each other. I can’t imagine a better summer with Don. He is so special to me and teaches me something new everyday whether he is meaning to or not. I don’t think honestly that there is a more generous man in the world than my husband and I am so grateful for that. He has worked so hard and given so much to others up here I am so proud to call him mine. The other day he had a little 4 year old girl on his bus that got sick almost right when she stepped on. She was bawling and didn’t get to go on the tour with the rest of her family. When Don got out to my work he bought her a little polar bear stuffed animal and gave it to her dad to give to her because he felt bad she was sick. I don’t know of another 22 year old that would do something like that. He is so genuinely sweet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment